Two main landscapes on the train from Hualien to Yuli was rice field, high rise mountain, or ocean, highway, mountain. That part of the country is where most of the farming is, especially rice.
We didn't end up staying at the bar, but at a hostel a 10 minute walk away. It had cats...3 that ran in and out and, when in, all over everything. Not my favorite (the nicest way I can put that). It was a relatively dirty place, mostly just from the cats, an the shower was a hose out of the wall in the same space as the toilet, no separation, so house shoes were especially appreciated here.
A common custom is to leave your shoes at the door then wear house shoes (sandals or flip flops) inside.
Our hike yesterday was an adventure and physical feat. We took a taxi to the national park info center, and our driver helped is complete the permit paperwork, even offering his cell as our emergency contact. Then he took us to the police station where we verified and completed our permit. Then he drove us the 6km up to the trail head, which we had originally planned to walk (that would have been awful - blacktop, in the heat, uphill). By the time we were 1/4 up the trail, I had large blisters on each heal and was walking with the backs of my shoes folded forward slip-on style. We saw several monkeys!!! Seeing them in the wild made me feel very different about zoos...And we walked several suspension bridges, so by the return trip they were by so freaky. No black bears or poisonous snakes so that was great. They had enough warning signs that we were all a bit timid about it. One, about the bears, told you what to do if one approached you. The English translation of the last step was, "Do not give up! Struggle to live!" The trail was beautiful, scenery dreamy, and the weather was perfect. Total, we hiked 20.5 miles in 9 hours. That includes a decent amount of picture taking, but only a couple 15 minute breaks. By the time we reached Walami (our turn around point) we were all dehydrated. But we made it! The last 6km was that blacktop mentioned above and, when we reached it, the first thing I did was take off my shoes and walk barefoot. It felt soooo nice. After about 2km of that I slid my shoes back on and it felt like I was walking on pillows. We finished the last couple km in the dark, and reached the police station at 7pm. They gave us water and called a cab back to town for us.
Today I'm surprised I'm not sore or stiff. Coming down the mountain it took a lot of mental effort to keep my mind off my feet (I'd put them on all the way for the descent) and my hips. Today we all feel well.
Yuli is in a valley surrounded by mountains. Today we train south and to the coast to Taitung and bus a bit north to the artsy-music-surfing town of Dulan.
Random cultural note of the day:
- When on an escalator, standing folks stay to the right, walking folks move ahead on the left, and people take that very seriously. There are no crowds to get on. Folks are very particular about lines, and make very neat ones to do everything. Get on the escalator, get noodles, wait for the bus, wait for the train, etc.Type A Angela really enjoys that. No crowds, no mess - which reminds me!
Second random cultural note of the day:
- All public places are so CLEAN. Far cleaner than US (yes, even Duluth) or Europe. From Taipei to small communities, from dark allies to the lowest level of the train stations, there is minimal, usually no, trash. People are constantly sweeping (even in the parks) and washing. I really didn't expect it. Type A me loves that at well.
My only hesitation in coming to Asia was the crowds of people but, in Taipei, a city of 8 million, it was less stressful than walking down the street during Duluth's downtown side walk sales. I also feel the safest everywhere we've been, so far, than anywhere else I've ever been. Ever.
I've heard that the cleanliness and friendliness is very much a Taiwan thing, China much less so.
No comments:
Post a Comment