Tuesday, April 7, 2015

Green Island (Part II)

After trying to write about Green Island for a few days now, I've concluded with my time here I'm going to have to keep it simple. It was too much to get down succinctly at this point. Eddie, our South African host on Green Island called it paradise and, even with the language barrier, I have to agree.

The ferry was a little rough but we kept down our afternoon snack of steamed meat buns.

Our accommodations would have definitely challenge some people, but we did fine with it. I loved it. We stayed in a warehouse, tin roof held down with tires against the typhoons. Inside was concrete floor with bamboo partitions dividing the space into rooms eopen to the short drive way, road, and ocean. Showers were outside, separated by the same bamboo walls as inside. Inside the building next door, there was a kitchen of sink and double gas burner and the cooler of beer, meats, soda and snickers.

The day we arrived was quite windy, remnants of a typhoon in the Philippines. The first thing we did was get the scooters. Brand new scooters. Eddie took our bags to the hostel, and we drove ourselves. The  scooters were awesome!!! I might have run mine in between a metal traffic sign and a light pole. Damage = a crack and some scuffs on the front piece = $40 US dollars. After stressing that I'd have to pay for a whole new bike, I was totally ok with that. As cheesy as it sounds, the beauty of that island and it's shores stole all words, so sorry, I don't have much for you. Google Green Island, Taiwan. Maybe the pictures will scratch the surface enough to give you an idea. We'd putt-putt up a steep hill, and at the top - the scene...and the next was at least as beautiful. Always, every time.

Our first night Eddie hosted his last BBQ on the Island, as he is selling (has sold?) the business. Around the table was 21 people, Americans, French/Danish, Yukranians, Irish, Taiwanese and South African = the best part of traveling, especially staying at hostels. The conversation in those settings cannot be matched. Everyone walks away having learned something and, usually, with a different stride due to some preconceived perception blown to bits (or a new one made). We ate all the potato salad, coleslaw, and meat (steak and pork) we could eat, drank Taiwan Beer, Scotch, and smoked cigars. Dessert was tomatoes from the neighbors. So...good...and so much food.

The next day we lounged about, scooted about...the water was too rough to snorkel. We watched a lunar eclipse from our common living space overlooking the ocean. The second day we did snorkel - wooooooow. Close call at the first place we tried, the ocean was not so mellow, but the second place we tried had water so calm kids were out there. So beautiful!!! I could easily do that all day without thought of thirst or hunger, especially in the wet suit so we didn't even have to worry about sun burn. Which we definitely got. That night was the hot springs overlooking the ocean. Ahhhhh...so nice

The ferry back to the main island was much better than the first. The train back to Taipei got into town frustratingly late, but what can you do?


No comments:

Post a Comment